Skip to Main Content
  • Hours

    SUN: 12:00PM-5:00PM

    MON-FRI: 9:30AM-8:30PM

    SAT: 9:30AM-5:00PM

  • 631-878-0940

    235 Main Street
    Center Moriches, NY 11934

  • (Searches this website, not our catalog)

Mission Statement

The Center Moriches Free Public Library provides services, programs and materials that enrich people’s lives, foster a love of reading and provide access to information. The services may be provided from our own resources, networking with other libraries, and by contracting with professional speakers and educators. The library advocates for access to the world of ideas and information unrestricted by fees, censorship, language, or barriers to the disabled.

Library History

The Center Moriches Free Public Library was started in 1921 in a room over the truck house (the site of the present day firehouse). It was moved to the Goldsmith building in 1923, to the women’s club building in 1930, and in September 1957 to the building at 529 Main St which is now used for Administration of the Center Moriches School District. Our current property location at 235 Main St is 2.2 acres located on the north side of Main Street between Railroad Avenue and Hawkins Avenue. This land was purchased on January 18, 1981 by the Board of Trustees from library benefactors, the Mockridge and Runyan families. For more information, read about The Land Where the Library Stands.

The new library building construction was completed in 1988 under the directorship of C. Gerard Donnelly. In 2013, a major expansion under the directorship of Nan Peel was completed.

The library services Center Moriches Union Free School District, consisting of a population of over 7500 residents. The library additionally serves residents of three other school districts, East Moriches, Eastport South Manor, and Remsenburg-Speonk that contract annually for Library service through the Suffolk Cooperative Library System. Contract fees are received annually from these districts for the operation of the library.